1.27.2005

ITunes Blows It

Well, mere days away from converting my friends and family to the Apple ITunes Software away from Winamp and other fabulous players, ITunes finally saps my last ounce of support. I knew it would happen... from my years of refusing to touch a mac in fear of being infected by some weard apple disease, I gave in when TechTV sent me my Free Ipod. Now, for the record, this isn't an inditement of the IPod itself, which I love like a child, but after updating to the latest release of ITunes 4.7.1, I've finally seen the horriable darkness at the end of the tunnel... They are no better than Microsoft.

What why how you might ask? Being the tech nerd that I am, and rambeling as I do, I got into the world of Podcasting, and adore it like there is no tomorrow. And at first, it worked like a charm. I would select my podcasts, and leave the computer up and running overnight to recive my latest updates, then when Bob and Tom were a little booring, or after their show was over, I would switch to listening to the shows I had collected during the evening. This was my Nerdvanna... I could select which shows I prefered, and they would be there at my fingertips. Well, with all this tech working so perfectly, and me being the nerd I am, I decided to check and make sure I had all the latest updates... the newest version of ipodder (which works like a champ BTW) and the newest version of ITunes... boy how I resent overwriting the last saved version there. Now, when ever a new file is added to my library folder (which I maintain in what I consider perfect order) the software won't even look for the files! No, the updates never show on the playlists, and worse, even though I can see the files in my folder, they are no where to be seen in the software. Using search of the file names, trying to refresh the library... nothing... So what happened? Well, I contacted Apple, telling them only that I had an IPod (so they wouldn't push me off because I had been awarded mine, which shouldn't be an issue, right?), and that ITunes is having Issue... that was several days ago now... and still no response. One of the MAJOR benefits of the ITunes software (at least in my view) was that I DIDN'T need to refresh the library, when the software loaded, it should automaticaly look for these files. Do I add them to the top level of the file folder? No, that didn't work... What should I do... but after remove, sweep and reinstall, it brought back my settings (which I DIDN"T want) and just went back to work, or not working as the case may be. Everything that was there before was still there, but nothing that had been coppied to the folder afterwards. So, ya blew it ITunes... it will take a massive leap of faith to bring me back into the fold, and even more so to ever get me to recommend you to anyone who takes my advice seriously.

Ok, so maybe I should do my googling, right? Well guess what, everyone that has a voice has chimed in on ITunes... and the resounding sound is that it just bites... no support avaliable (yeah, we want to see that stupid simple user demo again, sure, and please remove my fingernails at the same time) past mac-user level of instruction, no real technical answers, no nothing. So what's a guy to do? Well, if your like me, make your voice heard, and tell your friends and family, DON"T INSTALL ITUNES 4.7.anything. It's just no fun.

Ta

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home