1.26.2005

What's Adam done now?

Not even a few years ago, I found my self thinking, what's become of Adam Curry? You remember, the original VJ and seemingly perpetual host of MTV? The guy who not only used to tell us what video's to expect (incase we needed to set up the VCR) but also give us our latest music news. To quote the song, "where have all the good men gone?".

Well, I'll tell you where all the original "host with the most" ended up... Podcasting. No, not broadcasting, but something that may just revoloutionize the radio industry. Podcasting, with Curry as the undisputed GodFather, is the new art of producing a radio-esque show and making it avaliable (usually via a seperate piece of software, more on that another time) on the internet for people to download and listen to on their daily rounds. You pick the content, you pick the shows, and your computer can download, usually at night, the daily updates to the program... It's a revoloutionary idea who's time has not only come, but is deeply ingraned in the fabric of the past.

In the long long ago, radio shows were often the highlight of a persons day, from little orphen annie, to various spagettie westerns, the weekly drama and humor was delivered, on a set scheadule, to your radio for the whole family to enjoy... Kids and adults alike once gathered in much the same way my family crowds around the latest episode of "Lost" or "24" today. Now fast forward to 2005, Ipod's have become the major techie gift of the year, controlling over 80% of the MP3 market and for good reason with their advanced utilities and grandma-level controls. With this major revoloution, and music fighting to be free but loosing to the RIAA, it seemed only logical (at least to me) that someone take this idea and begin producing free entertainment programs... and from humor, to world, to what is being dubbed PodSafe, or generaly royalty free music, it's now all there for the taking.

How are people doing this? With everything from a complete home studio with production staff on sight to a young couple in their living room with a $20 microphone and headphones that came with their various CD players. There are educational podcasts created from lectures on journalism to modern cliff-hangers. There are preachers in Florida putting their sermons on the internet for spiritual clensing and nerds giving lessons in Linux for hardware clensing. With little more than the technology already in your home, there are people putting their hopes and dreams, sans script, out for everyone to listen too. And more and more, it's garnering wider attention.

Now I'm not going to get into a massive tirade about the level of quailty, or the fact that this is unregulated (I'm sure if you give it time though, someone will blame it for satanic worship) regular broadcasting of thoughts and ideas, but sufficent to say I feel this is a good thing, and when ever that happens, someone will step on the toes and take this revoloution away from me. For now, everything listed in the podcast directory is free and open, with only minor OPML lessons involved (no more than XML really) anyone with a voice and a PC can push out their feelings on a subject, and since there is even talk of VoIP being widely accepted, expect people to begin blogging with their podcasts from cell phones.

Recently, I acquired a new Ipod Mini, but just days before purchased and mailed in the rebate form for my Creative Nomad Zen. Thinking I would use the Zen as the workhorse and the Mini for style, I set about my life blissfully unaware of this gathering storm. Now, I'm stuck to my Ipod as if it were lifeblood. Listen in rapture, missing my turn off while Adam Curry waxes nerdesental about his trials and tribulations in getting his website working properly, laughing myself mental as Dawn and Drew, a young couple with roots on both coasts, make fun of life from their point of view. Dr Floyd keeps me howeling with it's 1950'ish styled radio adventures and the Super Smart Radio Whore Sex Show... well, I love them girls... and now my zen if regailed to the spot of spare hard drive and backup utility... I keep my music there, and my podcasts on the mini. It's blissful situation, and one I hope to continue for some time.

Who would ever take this away from us you might ask, and I'm with you... just who indeed? Mr Curry seems to be broadcasting (oops, podcasting) from a home in england, the canadian guys with their pc's boosted up to 11 are outside the borders of the US, so where will the regulation come from? Well, I'm not sure, and for one, I hope it never does. But that doesn't mean someone won't try... remember the efforts to cleanse the internet? Just moved all those people off shore and now they have less restrictions on their internet presence... heck, if the kid arrested in texas had just spamed from cuba or the bahamas, we would never have heard about him. So what's going to happen with podcasting? I'm sure I don't know, but if they start trying to control the US podcasters, look for me with a tropical drink in one hand, and map of saint someplace-or-another in the other... And searching for Adam Curry to shake his hand...

Ta for now

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home