2.17.2005

For Want of a Microphone, the Kingdom was Podcast

Ever want to do something, but lack that one essental part? Like drive, but have no gas? Or perhaps laugh, but have no joke? Well, that's what I'm feeling lately with the lack of a microphone. See, I've always had a big mouth, and with that, comes a neeeeeed to talk to just about anyone that will listen to me. Well, in comes my savior, Podcasting! Yes, with this, you can put out a daily, weekly, or "when-ever-the-heck"ly radio style show, pop it up on a server and let it bounce out to the stratosphere. I now have a good recording pc, plenty of samples and intro's, convincing recording software, everything EXCEPT a microphone. I used to have 4, but after the move, I can't seem to find even 1, and it's kind of buming me out.

I used to have omni directional drum mic's. Now this to me would be a good thing, not the same cartiod patern as a vocal mic, but I plan on talking to the mic, not around it. And I have a realllly deep voice, so lower frequency recording isn't necessarly a bad thing. But, with out a microphone, I'm stuck in the age of a Mono Creative Labs Mic that came with my first, second, third (you get the picture) sound card. After trying it, I tend to sound as if I'm plugging in a tin can and yelling into the string end to get an echo... doesn't work, you know? But all is not lost.

I'm going to try making two microphones out of one... ok, maybe not, but stay with me here. I'm of the mind that if I just wire the second input line to the right side of the input, I can make two act as one, even creating a sort of "aurial" field to record into. Now wouldn't that be grand! Then I realize... Umm... the soddering kit I have isn't made for this small a solder connection. Nope, made for working on car and truck wireing, or stero equiptment, but not board level stuff, and definatly not mini-jack plug size.

So, what to do? Well, beg my family would be my old course of action. Hope that someone, somewhere has old mic's or such laying around that I can play with and attempt to use. Not anymore though, everyone, cept my brother, seems to have gone to the four winds since last december, and now, well I'm searching for a mic to use.

So, if you have an old stero mic laying around, of any sort, I'd like to be your new best friend. Just mail em to rapid city, I'm sure someone will find me here. It's really that small...

Ta

1 Comments:

Blogger RP Woods said...

Yes, I know about this new site, e-pay, but when you don't have any cash, and everything you can get a hold of needs to be saved for software that isn't 5 years out of date, getting a $5 mic is a little tough.

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home