2.10.2005

Forgive me but...

Ok, I ask that if I ever do this again, someone put me in my place at that time, but I heard a comment on raising children today that I had to share...

"just because it tastes good, doesn't mean it's good for you"

Yes, this is an old quote, but using it in the context of bringing up junior is a huge step for some people. It essentially is a reprimand of all the people out there who don't want to raise their kids in the same way their parents raised them... You may not have enjoyed it, but if your parents used a proper level of discipline with proper levels of structure, you came out pretty good. If not, you may be attention seeking, or you may be over permissive, or one of a hundred personality problems that could have been resolved in your early childhood.

A friend of the family asked me during the "Super Bowl" why I make the boy walk to school. I said it's because he hasn't saved enough money for his own insurance yet (which is the truth, there's a car waiting for him to use) and she retorted with "that's what you are for". What? Did I hear that right? No, I'm here to help a boy become the best man he can possibly be. I'm not here to let him think that anything he wants will just be given over, as she does for her kids. I'm more interested in his ability to survive the real world, where you have to pay your way, or you starve. True to form, her 17 y/o daughter started to brag about how her dad had to get a ride to work because her car was in the shop... No, no no no... wrong... If your car is in the shop, you learn how to get to where you need to go... When your 30, there isn't going to be someone to just hand you a set of keys and say "here ya go... have a good time with it". Get a ride, take a bus, walk if you need to, but you can't always rely on having that kind of luxury available.

Raise your children as with all the tools they will need in later life, and you won't end up raising their kids for them when the time comes, or bailing them out of jail (more than once anyway) or even trying to help them through life as they wait for everything to be handed to them...

Remember, family isn't a democracy, it's a benevolent dictatorship.

Oh, and the person to use the quote? Bernie Mac, on "The View"... Now you know why I hope I never have to do that again...

Ta.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home