2.21.2005

Random Brain Stew (chunky beef flavor!)

After a long weekend, I'm finally back with some random thoughts and rants. First off, I've finally decided to go with a new font for the blog. I've long been a fan of the Ariel font, because of it's look and readability. Now, I'm sure there are all kinds of thoughts and studies out there on what is actualy the best or the worst, but I prefer the Ariel font family, so we're going to stick with this. Sitting here with my iPod playing out the daily source code, I don't have to lean in to read some of what I've written, so it's probaly better, at least for my neck. Nuff about the formating.

After a meeting with Mike's principal last week, I've started thinking about a "Scared Straight for Midwest kids" program. See, I was wandering around the school, and noticed that several of the kids were taking their school freedom's for granted. They are allowed to use their cell phones in the halls and grounds, just not in class (like that stops them), and listen to their cd or mp3 players as they walk from class to class... Is it just me ? I mean, in NY, you would walk almost regemented from one room to the next because they don't want any one causing any trouble, and MP3 players wouldn't be allowed so that there was nothing for another student to steal. Now I'm sure my lil brother will take some exception to this, especially since he lives in the Great Rich East, but these kids don't know just how good they have it. I'm wondering just how much they would appreciate school if they had to spend a day in a Buffalo NY school with 60+ kids to a class room, no heat in the winter, and teachers getting beaten up by students on a semi-regular basis? I would assume that they would start working a little harder and stop trying to be lil urban kids. I've said in the past that this area is 20 or more years in the past of the rest of the country, but after seeing the prevelance of the California Mullet (business in the front, party in the back), the old school CA sunglasses, red and blue gang bandana's (yeah, right blood, your street), and the exuberance of youth being displayed in a semi-disrepctful manor to the adults in the area, it might be time to take these kids for a little trip. The wife and I had to walk through a group of kids throwing shit back and forth (not literal skit, but crap and dirt) that didn't even more or stop as we walked past. I was about ready to stop them and take them all into the principals office, god I'm such a mid-westerner now. I'm sure they would change their tune when they saw a teacher or another student getting his head bounced off the concrete steps in front of the school for no good reason but over testerone or dad leaving because he can't be a playa anymore. Ok, if you make money off this idea folks, just send me a cut, but I had it first, thank you very much.

What's the problem with driving with your eyes on the road? Back in the east, it's illegal to drive with your cell phone to your ear, and finally, here in SD, it's now illegal for state employes to drive while using a cell phone without a hands free kit. So, how about the rest of the population? Sure, they would probaly revolt, but looking at some of them, they are revolding alredy (ba dum bump). Seriously though, today I was driving behind a woman weaving within her lane like she was swatting a bee.... and after passing her, I saw she was putting on makeup, drinking coffee, and talking on the cell. This my friends is an outrage! I once got away from a speeding ticket because of this very thing, minus the cell phone, because the cop noticed the same woman brushing her hair and putting on makeup on the 400, which for those of you in the know, is a almost totally rural connector highway. She never even slowed down to less than 60 the whole time, and when I had to do 70 to get by her weaving ass, I got pulled over (btw, the only ticket I've ever gotten for driving, generally I drive like someone's grandma who's been a taxi driver for 40 years). People, please, if it's that important of a call, make it before you leave the house, or after you arive at your destination... the time behind the wheel is for DRIVING, not doing your daily vanity.

I'd like to pump the blog of Jan Polet, the guy from the netherlands who does the hit-test for Adam Curry. it's at Janpolet.blogspot.com <-- [url updated, clicks now] and is quite interesting if you've missed any of the hit-tests during Adam's podcast. Check it out, although Jan isn't too artistic with his site or blog just yet (and if he stays that way, I'm going to try to get the account for setting up his site professionally).

Podsafe music, can't say much about this, but look for it on-line, support the underground artists, keep it real (bla bla bla). Just help out the little guy, I'm now looking for several CD's online because of things I've heard on some podcasts.

Lastly, I'm "Done with the Boing". For everyone out there, the Boing is a test noise that was used early in podcasting, and is now incorporated into the iPodder software. Yes, it was funny when it was first cropping up, but now everyone's boinging... and without me! Please, stop the boinging.... Think of the children, please god won't someone please think of the children!

Well, that's it for now, gotta get to work on my website. All this typing is wearing my fingers down a little, so I need to save some of this for my business.... and I've noticed that the thoughts in this post seem to ramble, so for now, have a good day all and talk to you later!

Ta!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did you have in mind? :)

12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home